Monday, November 5, 2007

Attitudes the biggest problem for disabled professionals, speaker says


Jason Price's biggest barrier isn't brick or steel or wood.

It has nothing to do with construction or even equipment.

Jason Price's biggest barrier is people.

More specifically, their attitude.

Price, a graduate of Northeastern Oklahoma State University, and a professional with the State of Oklahoma, has cerebral palsy.

And he uses a wheelchair.

And it's what people think about his disability, he says, that causes most of his problems.

"People with disabilities face tremendous barriers. The biggest barriers to employment for people with significant disabilities are attitudinal barriers -- they are even more profound than the architectual ones we still face."

Disabled professionals, he said, have a "very difficult time" getting on equal ground in the search for employment.

"Despite a degree, it took me from May 1997 until September of 1999 to find employment," he said. "And I had a good resume. I was a straight-A student and did an internship at Channel 9 in Oklahoma City."

An avid sports fan, Jason had hoped to use his degree to pursue a career in sports journalism.

But the attitude toward his disability derailed his plans.

"I would send in my resume and people would call back for an interview. They would be ready to interview me and it never failed, I showed up and everything about the individual changed."

From words, to downright shock, he said.

He blames the problem on a what he calls "the grocery store incident."

"The grocery store incident is that moment each of you had when you were at the grocery store with your mom and you saw someone with a significant disability," he said. "Your jaw dropped to the floor and you stared. You probably had a lot of questions for that individual."

However, Price said those questions were left unasked because, "your mom would not let you and you got into trouble for staring."

"On your way home, your mom told you what her mom told her and the misinformation continued. It continues to this day," he said.

Along with the fight to overcome the attitude.

"People with disabilities are regular people," Price said. "There is nothing different about our wants or desires. We are exactly the same."

As an example, Price described his own life.

"I've been married 10 years, I own my own home and have a 5-year-old son," he said. "I like to watch football on the weekends. There is nothing out of the ordinary."

Too often, Price says society looks at disabled professionals as "super crips."

"I refer to it as 'super crip.' Where we are exalted for doing things considered normal. When the fact is, we are normal."

Speaking at a recent reception for human resource professionals at the Sarkey's Foundation, Price, a Social Security Administration vocational rehabilitation coordinator for the state's Department of Rehabilitation Services, said the best way to deal with disabled professionals was simple respect.

"Don't assume all disabled people know each other," he quipped. "I've had it happen where people will see me at, say, Subway and they'll say 'hey, do you know David?' and I'll say, 'who?' and they'll say, 'you know, David. He's that guy in a wheelchair, too.'"

"Well," Price said. "I hate to break your heart, but disabled people don't all get together in the evening."

Using humor and a well-honed, comfortable speaking style, Price urged business and industry leaders to ignore the myths about hiring disabled employees.

"People with disabilities are perceived to be a risk to hire," he said. "That's wrong. They are perceived to be an insurance risk or to need extra accommodations. Well, the truth is, there are a lot of things out there that help with the architectural barriers, but there are not that many which help with the attitude barriers."

Disabled employees, he said, "are constantly in a state of proving our worth."

"None of the myths are true," he said. "People with disabilities just want a tiny piece of the American Dream."

To help overcome those barriers, Price said professionals should interact with disabled professionals on an equal level.

"For example, with me, please be seated if you are going to talk with me at length. And while assistance is appreciated, please ask before helping."

Many times, some people will "literally run me over," Price said, by trying to open the door. "We call those people good deed vampires. They are trying to suck the good right out of me."

A native Oklahoman, Price said disabled professionals just seek a "fair chance" to succeed in the business world.

"I consider my disability a part of me," he said. "It's who I am. I believe I am exactly how God wanted me to be. And there are many, many others just like myself. We're all seeking the same thing. We all want the same things. People need to see that."

No comments: