Thursday, October 18, 2007

Off to Iraq: 2nd Lt. Jeremy Spearing

Second Lieutenant Jeremy Spearing is ready.

He spent this week saying his good-byes, celebrating his birthday and Thanksgiving early, and packing his bags.

Because Jeremy Spearking is going to war.

Spearing, 25, and 2,399 other soldiers from the state’s 45th Infantry Brigade leave today as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

On Friday, the 45th will move to Fort Bliss, Texas, for “about 12 weeks” of intense, mission specific training. Early next year, they’re expected to be deployed to Iraq.

Spearing will return next October.

“Serving in the military is something I’ve always wanted to do,” he said. “It’s something I’ve always believed in. I was raised with the idea that you are supposed to serve your country in some way.”

A 2000 graduate of Norman High School, Spearing has served his country since he was 17. He enlisted because of the influence of his cousin and his uncle, General Miles Deering.

He also earned a degree in Criminology from the University of Oklahoma in 2006, attended two years of ROTC and served as president of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity in 2005.

And he’s more worried about his mom than the tasks ahead.

“I just plan on doing my job effectively,” he said. “The Army has trained me unbelievably well. I’ll follow the rules and make sure everyone comes home safe.”

But his mother, he said, “is worried to death.”

“I know she’s scared. But she’s very supportive. She’s helped out other families by sending supplies. She knows this is something we have to do.”

Understanding is one thing, concern for a son is a different matter.

“You just have to learn to toughen up and pray a lot,” Jeremy’s mother, Debbie said. “You have a lot of confidence in your son and the people he’s with.”

A single mother of two, both of Debbie’s sons followed the same path.

Both graduated from Norman High, were members of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity and attended the OU.
And both serve in the military.

Her youngest son, Allen, recently enlisted.

But like her son, Debbie Spearing has prepared herself; and, like her son, she’s upbeat about his trip and return.

“You have to be strong for yourself and your son,” she said. “You do worry. When he was first activated, well...it was the worst feeling in the world. But the role of parent is to be strong and I will do anything and everything to make it easier for him.”

And that includes, cards, letters, care packages and “anything” to remind her son that he’s missed, loved and respected.

“I always want to love and support them and always want to be positive. I send lots of letters and cards, whatever needs to be done, just count me in.”

For Jeremy, that simple act speaks volumes. “There’s nothing like a letter from home,” he said.

And while he acknowledges the difficulty of leaving home, Oklahoma and his friends and family, Spearing plans on taking a little of Oklahoma with him.”

“I’ve lived in Norman all my life,” he said. “Oklahoma is the best place to be. And, yeah, I’ll definitely miss my friends and family. But I’ll be back home in October of next year.”

To make the trip shorter, Spearing said he would take two souvenirs with him: a photo of his family and friends and an OU flag.

“The photos are to remind me of home,” he said.

And the OU flag?

“I plan to fly the flag somewhere that’s unique in the land. I want to make it a keepsake.”

No comments: