Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Askins: State lawmakers have more to do before problems solved

State lawmakers still have “a lot more to do” to address the treatment of women, working families, and small business in Oklahoma, Lt. Gov. Jari Askins said Friday.

Askins, a Democrat, spoke at the Cleveland County Democratic Party’s weekly Tyner Cornbread and Beans luncheon.

Speaking to a small crowd of about 30, Askins used a recent state visit by several Afghan businesswomen as a reference point, saying the problems Afghan women face in their country “are not that far behind” problems faced by women in Oklahoma.

“Many of the issues that have made it difficult for them to succeed in Afghanistan are not that far behind Oklahoma in terms of the way we treat small business owners, the way we treat working families, the way we treat women,” she said. “So it was a reminder that we still have a lot of work to do, and the work that goes on, and the policies made in Oklahoma City impact more than just the people who work at the State Capitol.”

The Afghan women, she said, inspired her and kept her “grounded about what’s real.”

Dressed in a bright pick jacket and black skirt, Askins said her first year as Senate president as “was different” for her and her office. “Having 24 Democrats and 24 Republicans made it an interesting time in the state Senate this year,” she said.

She said spent a lot of time last year watching lawmakers. “I spent a great deal of time in the Senate. I felt like it was important, even if there was not a vote that was tied. It was important for me to be around as the president of the Senate, and to remind them that if they didn’t play nice I would be there.”

Being able to walk the halls and having access to the Senate floor helped her stay prepared, she said. “It reminded me of when I was a child and we would fight in the living room. My mother would say ‘don’t make me come in there and settle that.’”

Askins said she told Senate leaders Mike Morgan and Glenn Coffee the same thing. “I told Senator Morgan and Senator Coffee ‘don’t make me come in there and settle that,’ but I’ll come, if you make me. And I think they knew that.”

And while Askins said she spent last year urging Democrats and Republicans to work together, the 2008 legislative session, she predicted, will be much more political.

“I’ve had people ask me before what I think the most important issues will be during this next legislation session,” she said.
“And I don’t know that it really matters, because based on how the Senate conducted business this last session I would tell you that every issue that is controversial in the Senate, the strategy behind it will be the effort of the Republicans to take over. That will be the driving force behind most issues.”

An election year, she said, changes the “noise” of what comes out of Oklahoma City. “And so I expect that to happen again.”

No comments: